Sunday, January 3, 2010

Packing the Bag

This has been looming over me for about a week and a half now. Dr. B told me that it is a good idea that I pack a bag for the hospital since I'm 1 centimeter dilated. How big is a centimeter anyway? I stayed at 2 centimeters for about 3 weeks last time, so who really knows. I do need to pack up my never full bag though. So here's the question......what the hell do I need?

I remember last time I packed up my shiny new Chanel diaper bag with so many unnecessary baby essentials. I think there was even a bottle in it.....how stupid! I also brought several outfits to wear in bed as I greeted all of my visitors. I had a cute new robe from Anthropologie, some fabulous little PJ pants embellished with coral flowers, also from Anthro, and so many other cute yet cozy tops to wear. Did I put one of them on? Hell no! I stayed in that hideous hospital gown the whole time. I loved it because I could shimmy my sore ass into the bathroom with no shoes on......the cute fluffy spa flip flops I brought were always on the wrong side of the bed when I had to go, so I was in a "fuck it" mood.....planters warts smanters warts....I could give a shit.

Anyway, I would shimmy into the nasty hospital potty and start the process. I would untie the nasty gown that some scank probably wore a week ago, then I would twirl it up and hoist it up around my neck like a scarf, then I would attempt to hover, then just give up, but it was great.....my neck was kept warm, and nothing had to touch the nasty floor except of course for my bare feet. I was in a fog the first night and the next day. I did shower and fix myself up, but I decided that I would stay in the mesh underwear and hospital gown for the duration.

It's hard when your world has been turned upside down. I had to push something way too big out of something way too small, and then I had my poor precious funbags attacked by a baby parana all whilst staying in a weird room that looked like a sad excuse for a Drury Inn. No sleep, no clue, no nursery.....it was crazy! Thus, I had way too many things that I didn't even use! I remember that my friend Amy brought me a cozy blanket...that was the best thing ever. The hospital room, though big and private was....well......a hospital room that had been updated years ago. The sheets were not Egyptian cotton, so the blanket was a Godsend. I liked having my robe to cover up the back of my fabulous hospital gown, and I liked having my own pillows.

Thus, what should go in the bag? So far I have a pair of flip flops, 3 Odwalla bars, some Medela Nipple cream, a sample of L'Occitane super rich moisturizer, a pair of socks, and a stupid moist towelette by Prada that I got for free, oh and I think there is a hotwheels or two in there from Pigpen. That doesn't sound like good planning does it?

No comments: