Monday, April 13, 2009

Hoppy Easter!

Okay, Okay, I know my last blog was a total downer, so you will be happy to know that today is a better day, and I'm not "hating" everything in sight! This weekend was really nice, and Easter was great! We originally planned to go to Texas to see my family for Easter, but we just couldn't figure it out between my husband's travel schedule and the Pig. We decided to stay here and have our own Easter celebration.

We started out on Friday with a delicious meal of roasted shrimp served with a side of campanelle pasta cooked with peas and a little creme fraiche. The husband was instructed to get a nice bottle of Pinot Grigio on his way home, and he didn't disappoint. Yummy food, yummy wine, candlelight, and a good little boy. Life was back to normal, and really great!

Saturday was a rainy day, so we just made it a cozy day of housework and relaxation. He did finish the dock in between rain showers. The Easter Egg hunt at the park was rained out, but it wasn't that big of a tragedy since I imagined myself trying to swab Pigpen's mouth every five seconds. He loves to eat everything that nature puts in the grass.

Sunday morning was the usual.....waffles, bacon, OJ. But, this Easter Sunday was just a little different. I was in the kitchen cleaning up from breakfast when I was summoned into the living room to see what the Pig had found. I walked in expecting to see the baby with something sharp and breakable in his hands or mouth, but instead walked into the best Easter surprise! My husband looked at me and said, "look! The Easter Bunny came!." I looked down at the Pig and saw a sweat little Tonka Toy Truck filled with Easter grass and some of the Pig's favorite morsels. He got a container of Puffs, a package of yogurt melts, and two things of Gerber Bananas! It was sooo cute! My Easter basket was filled with Reese's eggs, and everything else that's delicious on Easter. I didn't even think of Easter baskets.....oops! Thanks Daddy! That was definite redemption for the dock incident. :)

We decided to go to Church on Sunday. There is a really beautiful old church in the middle of town that has always looked so charming, so we decided to try it out.....it was Easter after all. We were worried that we wouldn't find a parking spot, and we agreed that we would sit in the very last row....if there was room, just in case the Pig was fussy. So, we turned the corner with about 5 minutes to spare before service, and expected to park down the street, but as we got closer....we didn't see any cars on the street. We pulled into the church parking lot, and actually got a spot. We saw a woman and three kids getting out of a car behind us, so my husband asked her if the service was really at 10:30. She confirmed, so we went in.

I was shocked! Well, I'm sure I wasn't the only one. I walked in dressed in my Easter best. I was wearing a long strapless silk dress that was reminiscent of a Hermes spring scarf. The dress was a dark ocean teal with splashes of orange, hot pink, navy blue, and yellow. I know better than to wear a strapless dress to church, so over that I wore a navy blue pashmina wrapped around my neck once with a big knot tied in the front, and a camel colored long coat with the same teal silk lining as the dress. The coat had a three quarter sleeve, so I wore my long camel colored leather gloves with two fabulous little buckles that go up to the elbow. On my head was the most fabulous Easter Bonnet. It was a Navy blue Italian Straw hat from Florence. It was almost like something you would put a potted plant in, but something you would definitely see on the runway for Marni. My fabulous camel colored Tod's heels walked me in the church with my trusty Louis diaper bag and my silver Ray Bans. My husband had on a beautiful gray suit with a pink shirt and a pastel Brooks Brother's tie. The Pig was dressed in Baby Gap, and looked like he just came from a photo shoot.

Sooooo, I was shocked to see the congregation of about 20 people. And yes, we were totally overdressed! I'm sure the whole congregation was wondering what planet we came from. I like to call it Planet Fashion, but that's just between you and me. At least we were all overdressed....all three of us. Oh well.....it was Easter, and I was going to wear my Easter Bonnet. I had been wearing it around the house all week!

The Church was so cool. It was built in 1820, and I don't think it has changed a bit since then. The pews were old puritan pews. They were these neat little personal sections that would seat about 6 people. The pews were little boxes that you entered into through a small wooden door. The windows were huge, and the balcony seats were so charming. I loved it! Good people, good message, good times! (Man who fart in church, sit in own pew) ha ha ha ha

After Church we hit up the local D&D drive thru for a latte, and went home to cook the ham. We were going to go to our neighbor's house for lunch. My husband asked me if I was going to change, and I looked at him like he was crazy. He said, oh yeah, it's Easter. I knew I would be completely over dressed at the neighbors, but I think they would be disappointed if I wasn't. When we walked in the son said..."see, I told you she would wear a hat." Do I know them or what?

We had a beautiful meal with wonderful conversation and company. We ate for about 3 hours! Pigpen had homemade beef Ravioli! He was in hog heaven!

After we ate like hogs we came home and all took a nap in the living room. Oh, actually some members of the family pooped in their pants, and then took a nap. It was a great day! :)

No comments: